If you run a business, you probably appreciate learning ways to cut costs and improve your bottom line. Some of these are obvious—such as minimizing electricity usage—while others are less blatant, like improving boiler efficiency. For this, you need regular boiler maintenance to ensure optimum performance at the lowest possible cost, as well as to utilize smart boiler strategies.
Here are a few ways you can lower your boiler operation costs:
- Install Multiple Boilers: Ideally, your building should have two or three commercial boilers—not for simultaneous use, but as needed. For most of the year, you’ll get the best efficiency rate from using one boiler at all times, with minimal on/off cycling. But, as the temperature drops, extra boilers will pick up the slack when the primary boiler can’t generate enough heat.
- Fix Leaks: Leaks will reduce efficiency, as additional make-up water requires extra heating power. If you suspect your boiler is leaking, call a professional to troubleshoot and repair them.
- Remove Mineral Scale: After many years of operation, it’s normal for boilers to accumulate lime scale and other minerals, which can negatively impact their efficiency. To counteract this, schedule regular boiler maintenance so scale can be removed or treated.
- Separate Your Boilers: If you use multiple boilers, you’ll get the best possible efficiency by isolating them. That way, boilers that aren’t currently in use won’t absorb heat from the operational ones.
- Upgrade to Full Modulation Burners: Another excellent way to save on boiler costs is to upgrade from conventional on/off boiler technology to the more efficient full modulation burner system. Boilers using this tech don’t turn off and on to maintain their temperature—instead, modulate from low to high-fire in response to demand providing accurate output as needed. A linkageless burner system is the best way to accomplish this and can provide a return-on-investment in a short period of time.
Smith Hughes Company is a commercial/industrial boiler maintenance service located in Cincinnati, OH. If you need a new boiler installation or have concerns about an existing unit, call (513) 271-2226 and a knowledgeable representative will be glad to advise you. We also offer package boiler rental packages. They’re also available for 24/7 emergency service. For more information, visit their website.